Appeal against the first instance court decision
Parties may appeal to the Court of Appeals in Pristina against the decision of the first instance court within 15 days from the date of serving the copy of the judgment. An appeal filed in due time by an authorized person shall suspend the execution of the judgment.
The Court of Appeals, after considering the appeal, may decide to:
- dismiss the appeal as inadmissible;
- reject an appeal as unfounded and uphold the judgment of the Basic Court;
- annul the judgment of the Basic Court and refer the case for retrial and re-adjudication.
Appeal against the judgment of the Court of Appeals
An appeal against the judgment of the Court of Appeals may be filed with the Supreme Court of Kosovo in the following cases:
- The Court of Appeals modifies the judgment of acquittal of the basic court and replaces it with a judgment of conviction or
- Life-long sentence was imposed through the judgment of the Basic Court or the Court of Appeals.
The phase of procedure by extraordinary means
Parties may file extraordinary remedies against the decision of the Court of Appeals before the Supreme Court of Kosovo.
Extraordinary remedies in criminal proceedings:
- reopening of criminal proceeding
- request for extraordinary mitigation of punishment
- request for protection of legality.